Here's how to figure it out.....
- First cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you.
- Second cousins have the same great-grandparents as you, but not the same grandparents.
- Third cousins have in common two great-great-grandparents and their ancestors.
- Once removed means there is a difference of one generation. Your mother's first cousin would be your first cousin, once removed. She is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents.
- Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. Your grandmother's first cousin would be your first cousin, twice removed because you are separated by two generations.